We're OPEN for no contact shopping! Order online and save on shipping - $5 in Ontario and $15 Canada-wide delivery and FREE Stratford deliveries (Monday to Saturday). Curbside no contact pick-ups (Monday to Saturday, 10 am to 3 pm). Click here for more details
- If you say you love chocolate but haven’t yet sampled the ambrosia that is Rheo Thompson, I’ll probably call you a liar because this is truly the most decadent chocolate I’ve ever tasted. Seriously – Laura Secord, Lindt, Godiva, Guylian and the like may as well just pack up shop and file for Chapter 11, because Rheo Thompson is THE NUTS.
I have never been to the shop proper but I regularly “send” one of my Stratford friends with an order to pick up if they’re visiting their families and this does the trick. I highly recommend having a Stratford friend – everybody needs one, if only for Rheo Thompson runs. They’re also surprisingly easy to find in Toronto! And everyone who’s from Stratford knows what Rheo Thompson is – the name is pretty much etched on Stratford birth certificates.
You can also order directly online but who knows how much shipping would come to – chocolate is heavy, yo!
I usually put in an order for these two things:
* Milk Mint Smoothie Bar ($1.30 each)
* 1 lb. of Dark Mint Smoothies ($16.30)
The dark chocolate Mint Smoothies are small chocolates like the coveted caramel square you find in a Black Magic or Pot Of Gold box. The centre is creamy and oozing with quality chocolate. But it’s the Mint Smoothie Bar that really gets me hot and bothered.
This fiendish creation — by no means a diet food, it’s something like 300 calories, which I suppose is the same as a regular, subar quality chocolate bar — melts in your mouth upon contact. The craftsmanship is ridiculous on these things. It’s dangerous to order more than a few. I wish they made a dark chocolate Mint Smoothie Bars but I love them so much I’ll break my devotion to dark chocolate and settle for milk.
Now go make some Stratford friends! Listed in: The Most Sinfully Decadentâ€¦
Kat F., Toronto ON
- “I would like to say that Rheo Thompson met and exceeded our expectations. From the first day we spoke until delivery of our product, we were treated with the utmost respect and professionalism from you and your staff. Thanks again and we look forward to working with you in the next holiday season.”
Laura, Corporate customer.
- “I lived in Stratford for my whole life and moved to Saskatchewan about 6 years ago.Your Mint smoothies were always My mom’s very favorite so of course my sister and I followed in that love. Loving your treats from way out west!”
- “My friend said I couldn’t visit Stratford without visiting your store and she was right! Delicious!”
From our visitors book
- “Your chocolates bring back many memories for our family, thank you.”
Sara, from our visitors book
- “The most beautiful chocolate store we’ve ever seen!!”
Visitor from Ottawa
- “If your sweet-tooth is acting up afterwards, a trip to RhÃ©o Thompson Candies is in order. Not only is this one of the most attractive stores you’ve ever seen, but you get to savour the delights of being in a place that does one thing – make candy – and does it in fine style.”
The Toronto Star, June 22, 2005
- “Just dropping by to pick up Mint Smoothies to take to Alberta and BC.”
Tina of London
- “You have the best chocolates anywhere.”
Kim from Essex, UK
- “Always a pleasure.”
Frank and Noreen, Strathroy
- “A Stratford visit is not complete without a stop here.”
Karen from Pleasant Lake, MI
- “I came back for the Mint Smoothies!”
Marianne from Baltimore, MD
- “A required pilgrimage every year!”
Carol from Bloomingdale,IL
- “Beautifully arranged, creative, and yummy.”
Gwendolyn from Tillsonburg, ON
- “Marvellous chocolates!”
Mike and Maria from Toronto
- “Just had your Mint smoothies for the first time and they are awesome. Definitely will be trying some of your other treats!”
- “I’ve had the mint chocolate smoothies a couple of timea and OMG, they’re to die for!!! They’re just right for anyone that has Celiac Disease and has to avoid anything containing wheat. They’re creamy, rich, and just plain YUMMMMMMM:)”
- “When in Stratford, a visit to the store is an experience not to be missed. There is a wonderful range of products each with a unique taste and character.”
Keith and Lyn, Emailed
- “Their Milk Mint Smoothies are to die for.”
- “Last evening, I had the pleasure of experiencing a Mint Smoothie Bar purchased at a Sweet Adelines Concert in Delaware, On. Oh My, not previously being a big fan of chocolate – this Mint Smoothie bar taught me a lesson in what I have been missing. Absolutely Wonderful. I look forward to visiting the store. WOW!! ”
- “I just had to share this i hadn’t had a mint smoothie for years as i am no longer living close to Stratford but had the opportunity to go into the store yesterday and i must say i bought too much but i couldn’t help myself … anyway my bf had never heard of the store or the mint smoothie so when we were in the car i said do you want one (i couldn’t wait) so he tried it and didn’t say much other then ya it’s good i was kind of dissapointed and then it happened … he all of a sudden said OH and i said what he said oh my you get the effect even after it is gone … i smiled and said welcome to the world of the famous mint smoothie ðŸ™‚ I bought a 2lb box for Christmas i sure hope they last that long !!! ”
Facebook (RhÃ©o Thompson Candies)
- “I was introduced to these amazing chocolates during a conference in Stratford. I have tried chocolates from many countries and stick to my favourites. I went on the website and was extremely happy to see that they could ship these out to my location. The staff at store are really friendly and great to deal with. These mint smoothies are by far my favourite kind and I can’t wait to share these with my family and friends. Thank you again for these chocolates and I look forward to ordering again!”
KC from Oakville, ON
- “I gifted mint and raspberry smoothies to friend & her hubby. He was raised in Belgium. Fussy fussy boy. HE LOVED THEM! He’s had the best when it was fresh, so loving RT makes it divine!”
- “My Dad lived in Stratford for 35 years and was a friend of Rheo. Mint Smoothies were the treat of his life.
As he lay dying at Stratford Hospital, I took a Smoothie, put it in a styrofoam coffee cup, left it a little while on the rad to soften, smushed it up, and eased it bit by bit into his mouth.
He died a happy man. ”
Peter F, Emailed
- “My annual trip for staff Christmas gifts- now 10 years running. The three hour round trip is worth the wonderful chocolate smells as I walk into the Rheo Thompson store. See you next year!”
Darcy W, Emailed
- “From your letter I was expecting to taste a really unique popcorn, but for me it was the large pecan halves, whole almonds, and that almost-buttery candy coating that deserve all the credit â€“ the popcorn was completely in the background. The size and quantity of the nuts meant that each bite was different from the last â€“ something that is unique in popcorn treats. I thoroughly enjoyed it.”
Karin W, Emailed
Wow. Try the mint smoothies. You'll be amazed at how good these things are. I dare you to stop at one! They have hundreds of other great candies of all kinds. Worth a drive to Stratford just to visit an amazing small scale local landmark.
I live in Stratford and I have family who come to visit from the States and that's the first place they want to go when they come. I can honestly say that they are the best chocolates I've ever had. It's worth the trip!
Simply put, the best candy store Iâ€™ve ever been to. The mint smoothies are, in my opinion, practically perfect candy. Highly recommended.